My roadmap for a better Fedora

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 08:23:14 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-19, 21:23 GMT, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> I think you misundestood something. If order to effectively
> hunt issues, we definitely need HUGE number of bugreports
> (remember Necrosoft's "Send crash dump" utility). That
> definitely means one-way communication. I'm insisting - one-way
> communication (e.g. user will send bugreport to
> invisible-to-him blackhole, w/o answer, with some handy tool).

Pardon me for interrupting here, but in my humble opinion the
previous paragraph is the very good example of the thing which we
should avoid by any means legally permissible.

Such tool might be useful for crashes (because there it is highly
probable that victim of crash files a bug and then you have
choice between poorly filed bug or well filed one (and even there
I would question the utility of such thing -- ask Gnome and
Mozilla folks about their experience).

However, most bugs are not crashes (or at least in the world of
Xorg and gecko where I spent my working hours) and there the
communication with reporter is absolutely essential.

> Mediawiki will be easier to enduser in case of reporting bugs.

Why?

If the reporters are not able to complete prefiled form, why do
you think they would be doing any better to compose the text
themselves?

Matěj