reportbug? [Was: Re: My roadmap for a better Fedora]

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 20 15:41:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 09:05 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-11-19, 18:38 GMT, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > 1) Make it easy to report bugs. Bugzilla is complex, slow, and
> > inscrutable. We need to put a simpler layer on top of it. Reporting a
> > bug should require just a few clicks.
>
> In my checkerd past is a long streak of using Debian. There
> I really liked reportbug script -- in my opinion, reporting bug
> should not include any clicks at all.
>
> The beauty of such script is that it is able to collect all
> necessary information itself and it could theoretically carry
> some database of information needed for the particular component.
> Or it could do even some light pre-processing of the information?
>
> Still it could do much more than whatever we can even dream about
> with the web form no matter how many clicks we require -- I am
> afraid that in case of web forms there is a direct relationship
> between usefulness of information and number of clicks required.
>
> Comments?

 I don't remember reportbug being that userfriendly, but yeh some
graphical tool that can get local data and screenshots etc. would be
nice.
 _But_ as others have said in this thread, if someone wants to do some
easy/quick to use tools for BZ the first ones they should be writing are
for the developers/packagers. I won't mind getting 666 dups, or dealing
with 10x as many bugs in general, as long as I have a decent local tool
that can manage that number of bugs. Atm. lots of TABs of open bugs, and
giant folders of BZ email are the best tools I've seen.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora