RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:40:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 08:38 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Okay.  Please fill in other examples so packagers and reviewers can
> get
> a feel for what to cut and when it's good to depart from the general
> rules and put it on the wiki under PackagingDrafts.  Then add it to
> the
> list of things for the Packaging Committee to discuss.
>
> We can link it from this portion of the full Guidelines:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Summary_and_description

Okay, I'll do that when we've got more agreement on the wording:

Many GUI packaging tools make the summary more prominent than the
package name. The summary is often a better description for the end user
when making a decision about installing. To make the user's experience
better here, we try to have short succinct summaries that don't repeat
information in the name.

For instance, the following are over long, or repeat the program name:

* System daemon that is a DBUS abstraction layer for package management
* XQilla is an XQuery and XPath 2.0 library, built on top of Xerces-C
* DeVeDe is a program to create video DVDs and CDs (VCD, sVCD or CVD)

The following would be good replacements:

* Package management framework
* XQuery and XPath 2.0 library
* Create video DVDs and CDs

How does that sound? Anyone got any better words?

Richard.