RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 19:48:42 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 08:38 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Okay.  Please fill in other examples so packagers and reviewers can
>> get
>> a feel for what to cut and when it's good to depart from the general
>> rules and put it on the wiki under PackagingDrafts.  Then add it to
>> the
>> list of things for the Packaging Committee to discuss.
>>
>> We can link it from this portion of the full Guidelines:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Summary_and_description
>
> Okay, I'll do that when we've got more agreement on the wording:
>
> Many GUI packaging tools make the summary more prominent than the
> package name. The summary is often a better description for the end user
> when making a decision about installing. To make the user's experience
> better here, we try to have short succinct summaries that don't repeat
> information in the name.

Is many accurate?  the rest of this text sounds good.

> For instance, the following are over long, or repeat the program name:
>
> * System daemon that is a DBUS abstraction layer for package management
> * XQilla is an XQuery and XPath 2.0 library, built on top of Xerces-C
> * DeVeDe is a program to create video DVDs and CDs (VCD, sVCD or CVD)
>
> The following would be good replacements:
>
> * Package management framework
> * XQuery and XPath 2.0 library
> * Create video DVDs and CDs

* It would be good to have the program name mentioned here as well.

* I find it easier to see what's happening with the before and after
next to each other.

* A few words about rationale would be good too:

Why is Xerces-C not important to mention?  is that something that would
be important for one class of packages (libraries) but not another
(applications)?

Why would differentiators like VCD, sVCD,and CVD not be good?  If that's
the program's claim to fame, would "Creator for many types of video DVDs
and CDs" be better?

-Toshio