problems updating glibc

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 15:09:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:13:28AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008 07:27:40 am Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've seen mention of this (and actually saw it on another system of
> > mine but it settled down) where glibc-common can't update due to
> > glibc.
> >
> > The machine is a Fit-PC which runs on an AMD Geode. It currently has
> > the glibc version 2.8.90-14 i686 rpm and attempting to update to 2.9-2
> > it errors with "package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686
> > architecture" which seems weird given that its already running the
> > i686 version. Any ideas?
> a geode is not i686 compatiable,  it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
> own arch for glibc.  rpm and yum both now how to deal with .geode packages.
> openssl likely needs a .geode rpm also.  olpc has the same issue.  the images
> they use have i686 versions installed.

I've got one of these crazy boxes too.  Although i686 packages can't
be installed, they _do_ seem to work if you force them.  Certainly all
the simple ones I tried anyway, although maybe I didn't try openssl.

(It's also worth noting that there are at least two somewhat different
variations of the Geode.)

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)