Heads up for mono-2.2

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:10:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 November 2008 at 18:28, James Hubbard wrote:
>> Why does anyone go searching for a srpm?  Everyone has their reasons.
>> You are assuming that the user has those tools.  What if the user is
>> on another system or  does not have net connectivity?  I will go back
>> to older versions of fedora to download srpms.  However, I usually
>> know the package name.
>>
>> I do not believe that not having a separate srpm for this will be a
>> problem.  Anyone that needs it will probably figure it out.  I think
>> that having packages where there are multiple applications in one rpm
>> is more of a problem from the end user stand point.
>
> You can always check which src.rpm a package was built from with rpm -qi.

The post by Till Maas that I was responding to made that point.  Did
you miss my point about being on a system that does not have rpm
installed?  I have frequently downloaded rpms and occasionally srpms
while using a windows machine.   In many U.S. government facilities,
it would be impossible to get a linux box onto a network with Internet
connectivity.  There are corporate networks where it would be
forbidden to connect a linux system.

>> The example that sticks out my head is the kdeskd rpm.
>
> yum search kdeskd returns no results.

My mistake.  The package name is kdesdk instead of kdeskd.  There have
been times when I wanted to install Umbrello only.  Unfortunately, it
installs all of the kde software development packages such as
kdevelop.