NetworkManager doesn't email log files

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Wed Nov 26 18:40:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 13:31 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> NM will change the hostname just like dhclient-script does, if you have
> not set a persistent hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network.  If you have
> set a persistent hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network, NM will *always*
> use that hostname.

The hostname was there and listed the whole time, from install (I used
askmethod during install so I could get NM to use static, as GUI didn't
allow me to).

> It may be the issue where sendmail is happily unaware of network changes
> including hostname changes.  If, after connecting, you do '/sbin/service
> sendmail restart' does that start things working?  The real fix here is
> to hit stupid services that don't handle network changes in the face
> with a nail-studded board, and repeat if they get back up, until they
> stop getting up and just lie there.  But failing that, forcing them to
> restart via a dispatcher script when network changes occur may be the
> quickest alternative.

No, sendmail wouldn't still send it.  I did go to network service and
relooked at files (ifcfg-eth0 mainly), saw any differences with
NetworkManger and with network.  Went back to NM just now and ran epylog
cron manually and it got sent.  Sooo, it *might* be working now.  So
maybe something in ifcfg helped and allows it to go now?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org