FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Nov 3 10:46:47 UTC 2008

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 04:13:07PM -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
>> All packages should go in comps.  I don't know why notting is against
>> this?!!?  Why should my php-pear-* packages be excluded from comps for
>> example?  Just because some newb might not want to install them does
>> not mean a php web developer would not use comps to install them.
>
> If all packages are to go in comps, we need a more fine-grained comps.

Comps evolved over time into something that doesn't make a whole bunch
of sense to me. Is the main use of comps still for installation groups
within yum and anaconda ? A lot of packages are not installation
"targets" but simply libraries that should only be installed by being
pulled in from dependency resolution. Now if we're trying to
"categorize" all packages nonetheless, it'd be better to have a
tag-based system from packagedb, where packages can be "tagged"
a-la-gmail, and also belong into multiple tag groups as some things
  really belong into multiple categories...