Policy on circular build deps?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 14:54:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:22 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Is there a policy on whether circular build dependencies are permitted
> or not?  The nearest I can find is this (obsolete?) page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/PackagesNeedingBootstrap
>
> MinGW has one hard circular dependency which will require rel-eng
> cooperation to build first time[1], but we also have another one which
> is only a "nice to have" (mingw32-iconv & mingw32-gettext[2]).

I don't think there's any strict policy.  It's polite to mark the
packages needing special handling during bootstrap somehow.  In Mesa I
just note at the top of the specfile that the -demos subpackage needs to
be excluded on the way up (it needs libglut, which you can't build until
you've built a libGL, which the main Mesa package provides...)

- ajax