Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 16:14:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> When I see the group word applied to packages it's almost always a
> single group per package usage.  Having multiple tags per package would
> allow the user to narrow their browsing like this:
>
>  tags: games 1000 entries - (action, strategy, cards, boardgame, rpg,
> [...]).
>  tags: games, strategy - 276 entries (wargame, cards, no others, rpg,
> [...])
>  tags: games, strategy, cards - 17 entries (no others, wargame)
>  Only tags: games, strategy, card - 15 entries ()
>  Browse results
>
> font-sized tags are a good idea in this context but not applicable to
> the commandline.  Ordering of the possible tags to intersect with by
> popularity is an approximation of this.

> A tree hierarchy has good qualities compared to the comps groups that we
> have now but I think that intersecting tags have most of the advantages
> of a more rigid group.

A tree hierarchy + font/ordered tags might make sense for delving through
all the pkgs. For example

You see a page like:

Games, Utilities, System, Mail, WebServices, Development, etc

Then you click on Games and it expands out the tags sorted or fonted by
most common tag, etc (not including games) in that group. So you create
implicit subgroups by going to what you want most.

That should be relatively easy to do, I think.

-sv