FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 18:30:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Seth Vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> Keywords as a concept are harder than you might think for a lot of
>> people. Especially if they have to come up with them on their own. You
>> ever met someone for whom google was not useful? Those are often people
>> who have trouble figuring out what are good keywords on their own.
>> However, if they are presented with a list of common keywords they can
>> pick out the ones they care about. I know it's odd but I've seen it occur
>> very commonly.
>
> Yes, but which audience are we talking about? The one that wants to find
> a billiards game, or the one that wants to find PHP bindings for FTP
> support? It's possible that these two audiences have a similar searching/
> keywording skill level, but I'm not sure it's likely.
>
> (Which goes back, again, to who and what are we creating this data for.)

Which is why the interface isn't all-or-nothing.

If you know the search terms you want to find then type in:

php ftp

then you get back more or less what 'yum search php ftp' gives you:

php-pear-Net-FTP.noarch : Provides an OO interface to the PHP FTP
                         : functions plus some additions

But in both cases additional tags will help you find that information and,
of course, to find where the intersections are.

-sv