Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 18:31:53 UTC 2008

> It means a non-comps solution won't happen short term, so in the
> meanwhile if we want to classify things comps is the only realistic
> place to do so (even if it's not perfect)

But what does a classification with every single package gain you?
(Including libraries?) What's the usage case?

Right now, we use comps as:

- An input to a graphical package selector

  Adding everything here is likely to make large portions of the UI
  unusable.

- An input to tree composition tools

  Adding everything here, as long as it's all 'optional', is likely
  to have less effect.

<insert other things that comps is used for here>

Bill