Orphaning GCL

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 03:45:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Gérard Milmeister <gemi at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am orphaning GCL (GNU Common Lisp):
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/gcl
>
> I cannot get it to build on any platform anymore and have
> not been successful in gathering support. I hope somebody
> else will have more success.
>
> gemi
>
> --

I'm interested in taking it.  It looks like Camm Maguire is the Debian
maintainer.  He's got a massive patch for Debian, which appears to
address at least some of the problems we are having in Fedora.  I
tried an initial build, but ran into a rather strange problem.  Try to
compile this:

int main() {
#include <unistd.h>
  return 0;
}

I can compile it with -O.  I can compile it with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE.
But I cannot compile it with -O -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE.  GCC spews a whole
bunch of errors about formerly extern functions now declared as
static.  Is that a glibc header bug?  It is preventing GCL's sbrk
randomization code from compiling.

If we can get that worked out, I would like to take GCL.
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/