Detecting binaries in rpmbuild

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Tue Nov 4 10:38:04 UTC 2008

> I just discovered in a package I'm putting through review that the
> upstream tar ball contains some pre-compiled binaries.  It seems like
> this would be a good check for rpmbuild to run automatically before the
> %build step.  Thoughts?

Fine, as long as it doesn't prevent building rpms from precompiled
binaries.  I mean, other than compilers, we really shouldn't do it in
Fedora, but taking away that functionality would prevent companies
building some rpms for internal use.  I agree that rpmlint sounds like a
great place for this.

> --
> Orion Poplawski
> Technical Manager                     303-415-9701 x222
> NWRA/CoRA Division                    FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com
> Boulder, CO 80301              http://www.cora.nwra.com
>
> --

novus ordo absurdum