Software is once again unpatentable in the United States

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 4 23:37:56 UTC 2008

Also from http://ben.klemens.org/blog/arch/00000009.htm:
> Despite claiming that all that matters is the
> machine-or-transformation test, the ruling also bears in mind many
> other necessary conditions for patentability, such as the rule that a
> patent may not “wholly pre-empt” a law of nature or principle or
> mathematical formula. Also, if you wholly pre-empt a mathematical
> algorithm within some narrow field of endeavor, the court rules that
> this is still a pre-emption. I'll have a little more on this below.

Note "a patent may not 'wholly pre-empt' ... a mathematical formula".

...which means all those codecs from livna/rpmfusion just became 100%
legal, no royalty required*.

(* assuming the copyright license is not an issue, of course)

--
Matthew
Igor Peshansky: Don't hippos love water even more than dogs?