Concerns about 'provenpackager' and why I didn't mass ACL open

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 20:15:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 14:44 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> As I understand it, in general, provenpackager status requires packaging
> a certain number of packages (N).    In my opinion, this is insufficient
> and potentially dangerous and package access should be given under an
> "as needed" basis.

Small correction here.  Against my advise, the "has more than 5
packages" mark was only used for the initial seeding of the
provenpackager group.  From this point on, the way to get in is to
request membership via the account system, and somebody already in the
group has to approve the membership.  It isn't the same sponsorship type
thing that getting into packager has, once you approve somebody you're
not ultimately responsible for them.  But we did want to make it
something somebody has to explicitly ask for, rather than be
auto-granted whether they want it or not.

> I am not really comfortable with opening that up.
>
> So, anyway, that's my logic ... if anyone can persuade me that releasing
> new code is /not/ possible through the provenpackager system, I think I
> could be persuaded to flip things, but right now, I can't see an
> advantage in doing so.

For rawhide, somebody would be able to commit a change and do a build,
and it would automatically go out in rawhide.  But for a released
package, since it has to go through bodhi, only the "owner" can do bodhi
updates at this time.  There are plans to enable co-maintainers to
submit updates too, but that would again be specifically granted people,
rather than members of a larger group.

All that said, I don't think your logic is wrong, and I think it has
been well thought out.  I just wanted other folks to know where you were
coming from on these particular packages, mostly because it had seemed
in the past you were very much in favor of a more open system.

Thanks!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!