Pidgin (was Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-11-05)

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 17:16:54 UTC 2008

2008/11/8, Stu Tomlinson <stu at nosnilmot.com>:
>  > - It is the 2nd largest memory consuming application running (after firefox)
>  >    using up 10% of my total memory:
>  >     6698 paul      20   0  843m  96m  15m S  0.0  9.6  16:43.17 pidgin
>  >    And I am not a super consumer, only 25 friends and 5 irc channels online now.

Oh come on! It's just a GTK applications (with, as usual, poor desing,
which in turn leads to high memory usage due to poor allocators,
complex internal structure, which leads to bugs which cannot be fixed
even by maintainers months and years, and so on).

Take a look - this is a Firefox with switched off memory cache and 8
opened tabs.

26819 petro     20   0  449m 299m  21m S  0.3 59.7   6:32.90 firefox

If we'll start complaining about memory consumption of GTK-based
monsters we'll spend all free time in useless conversations.

You shoud try to use some better alternatives. Try Psi, for example.
In any case there are tons of better XMPP clients (you're not using
proprietary protocols like oscar/msn/aim/etc, are you?). In case of
Firefox we don't have such obvious variants to switch to (mainly due
to Firefox extensions - real killer feature of this memory hungry
beast).

BTW does someone knows about those unlucky ISVs, who based significant
part of  their business on GTK?
--
With best regards!