Pidgin (was Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-11-05)

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Nov 8 21:20:47 UTC 2008

>> - Somewhere it lost "reconnect all accounts", and I need to click reconnect per
>>    account.
>>

> This should not be necessary, as accounts should automatically reconnect
> without user intervention, unless they disconnected for reasons Pidgin
> determines are not automatically resolvable (such as incorrect
> password). What sort of disconnection results in the accounts being in
> this state?

happened to me, too. I am constantly connected to gtalk, YM and ICQ and
sometimes I am simply disconnected and not reconnected to any of them
(and it is for sure not a local network problem, as anything else but
pidgin works ). However I am almost sure that I haven't seen this
problem since upgrading to 2.5.2

>> - Leaves a mess in /tmp/
>>

> What sort of mess? I am not aware of anything Pidgin puts in /tmp - Gaim
> used to a long time ago before we switched to using DBUS for remote
> control.

I haven't seen anything left by pidgin in /tmp either...

>> - The file transfer function is completely unreliable and often fails silently,
>>    eg the other end does not even see you're trying to send them a file.
>>

> File transfer functionality varies by protocol, and also depends on what
> client the other end is using. I agree it is not perfect. Can you be
> more specific about what protocol(s) you see this on?

I have huge problems with transfers via YM. I can understand that I
cannot see the photos shared by people using the oficial YM client (the
"share photos" option), but file transfers sometimes work, sometimes
don't. I have been unable to find a repetitive pattern. In the beginning
I thought it's related to me being  behind a NAT. Then I thought it's my
firewall. But I was surprised to see that transfers with other pidgin
users work (more often than not). And after a while I realized that even
Windows people can send me files... sometimes. Even when both me and my
conversation partner are NATed. But the big problem is "sometimes".
Bottom line, I can only assume it's a matter of incompatibility among
protocols and that the success of the transfer is dependent on the YM
version used by the Windows user who attempts to send me the file.