starting Fedora Server SIG

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Nov 11 19:04:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz> wrote:
> There were many discussions in the past few days and weeks about the
> orientation Fedora currently has. It is a fact that currently
> Fedora is primarily desktop oriented.
>
> We agree that Desktop is important part of the system, it is highly
> visible to the public and large number of Fedora users. But we also see
> a large number of Fedora and CentOS users and RHEL customers with very
> specific needs and demands. We can not omit the server fundamentals that
> later create a successful enterprise product and in our opinion a formal
> entity must exist to coordinate these efforts.
>
> That's why we started work on establishing the Fedora Server SIG. The
> draft is available at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DanHorak/ServerSIG
> Any constructive ideas are welcome  :-)

Sounds like a great idea; as you state, I think it is important to
have a voice for the more conservative server side in Fedora to
counterpoint the fast-moving desktop.

In addition to the list of goals you have there, I would suggest:

* Create an official minimal server spin image, link to it on
fedoraproject.org/get-fedora (when we do this, we can relegate the
choose-your-own-adventure DVD images to a secondary page)
* Consider creating a landing point page for all the admin
technologies in Fedora (kickstart, cobbler, etc.) Does one exist now?

Do you plan to create a mailing list, or use this one?