Proposal: Rolling Release

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:19:32 UTC 2008

2008/11/11 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:52:48 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu does not have the same exclusionary
> > policy so you don't have to track down packages from a million
> > uncoordinated places.
>
> Yet they have created Gobuntu and the new installer option for using
> "open-source non-restricted software" only, which I consider an option
> for end-users, who want to stay on the safe side and avoid the threat
> of legal/patenting/licencing issues.

Actually, they stopped working on Gobuntu, it is no longer a supported not a
distributed part of the Ubuntu family. Apparently they did not gather enough
volunteers to keep up the project so Mark effectively shut it down. People
are requested to use gNewSense instead which is also an Ubuntu remix without
nonfree elements present (and blessed by Stallman if I am not mistaken).

- David