Proposal: Rolling Release

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Nov 12 05:49:13 UTC 2008

On 11.11.2008 22:42, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 15:23 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Which repos have a chance to rebuild against new fedora libraries before
>> they are publicly available so a user updating with both enabled won't
>> experience conflicts?
> Every repo.  Our build roots are public and static repo locations are
> updated hourly with their contents.  It's all public, anybody in the
> would can access it.

As someone that takes care of a 3rd party repo I can mostly agree to
this statement from Jesse. But there is one important thing that is not
really foreseeable for the public: Pushes to the stable or testing
updates repos.

They just happen suddenly out of the blue and I as 3rd party repo
manager have no real chance to do push at exactly the same time. All a
3rd party repo manager can do is to watch fedora-announce-list closely
and push packages that have dependencies on specific Fedora packages
(xine-lib-extras-nonfree, qmmp-plugins-freeworld, all kmods, some
others) once he sees that Fedora did the push.

That is one of the big problems. Another one: Dependency problems due to
mirror lags afaik confuse yum (at least on F8 and F9). Details can be
found here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-August/msg00041.html

CU
knurd