starting Fedora Server SIG

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 19:35:10 UTC 2008

Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) said:
> Why is "ed" still mandatory in core?

Because ed is the stnadard text editor. (Couldn't resist.)

> Does anything (or anybody) actually use it?

LSB dep, apparently. That being said, I don't see why it can't
be removed. Done for F11.

> I see a few other things that don't really seem core to me (file,
> hdparm, prelink, dhclient); it isn't that I don't use them, but I don't
> necessarily see why they should be mandatory.

hdparm is a bug, removed in the F11 tree. (I'm tempted to do it for F10
too). prelink's sort of weird, in that I'm not sure how it would get on
the system otherwise - it could probably be moved to Base. dhclient is
included so you can always configure and start minimal networking.

Bill