starting Fedora Server SIG

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Wed Nov 12 23:23:05 UTC 2008

* Les Mikesell [12/11/2008 23:07] :

> Does the LSB demand that program be encapsulated in
> distribution,version-specific packages before it can work?

LSB requires an application to either be packaged as an RPM or supply an
installer which is itself LSB conforming.

> If it does, I don't see much advantage over having to build in every
> distribution,version environment in the first place.  And if not, then
> how is it supposed to know about the dependencies you mentioned.

The LSB specifies an lsb_release program that you can use to determine
how LSB compliant the box is :

[manu at orient ~]$ /usr/bin/lsb_release
LSB Version:	:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch

Emmanuel