starting Fedora Server SIG

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Nov 13 18:12:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

> I tend to think there will be a place for manual network configuration
> for a long time (no matter what jeremy says :), because there are some
> situations that are just too borderline to support in the short term, or
> are sufficiently borderline that the maintenance cost of adding the
> feature outweighs the benefit of the feature in the first place.
> There's always a tradeoff to feature addition.

I sure hope so. I routinely have an embedded device plugged into the Ethernet
port on my laptop and have wireless connected to the internal network. The
embedded devices do not always have a dhcp server on them. If I cannot configure
the network manually, now I cannot do my job.

NM in F9 handles this surprisingly well (Thank You). I hope no one decides
to break this behavior because they do not happen to use this feature.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com