starting Fedora Server SIG

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 13 19:29:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:12:28PM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
>
>> I tend to think there will be a place for manual network configuration
>> for a long time (no matter what jeremy says :), because there are some
>> situations that are just too borderline to support in the short term, or
>> are sufficiently borderline that the maintenance cost of adding the
>> feature outweighs the benefit of the feature in the first place.
>> There's always a tradeoff to feature addition.
>
> I sure hope so. I routinely have an embedded device plugged into the Ethernet
> port on my laptop and have wireless connected to the internal network. The
> embedded devices do not always have a dhcp server on them. If I cannot configure
> the network manually, now I cannot do my job.
>
> NM in F9 handles this surprisingly well (Thank You). I hope no one
> decides to break this behavior because they do not happen to use this
> feature.

With NM managing both connections, it will alow both interfaces to be
active at the same time.  One could have a static config that you can
edit/change easily through the Connection Editor, while the other
could be using DHCP.  In my experience with 2 ethernets in my desktop
system , this works great as long as only one of the devices
supplies/is configured with a default route.