starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 01:00:18 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) said:
>> Will ifconfig and route be modified internally to talk to dbus so the
>> scripts and commands that have worked for eons continue to work?
>
> I really don't know what you mean by this. For displaying devices,
> addresses, and routes, they will work like they always have. If you
> use it to change the configuration of a device out from under NetworkManager,
> well, then you've causes your own issue.

ifconfig has been the way to set/change addresses, netmasks, etc. since,
well, forever.

> (Much like if you change
> the address out from whatever /etc/init.d/network configured it
> as, actually.)

Those aren't bothered by on the fly changes - they just apply the saved
settings the next time you boot or ifup/down.   I need to be able to do
address/netmask/route changes, preferably by running the same commands
as always.  And the stuff ethtool does too.  And I expect SNMP to report
the same stuff under the same interface names.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com