starting Fedora Server SIG

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 14 06:30:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> You might notice that all of the above are features that are good for
>> developers working on enhancing other software and good for desktop users
>> but not so much features that a sysadmin worried only about keeping systems
>> running and using as few resources as possible will care about.
>
> If any part of the core freedesktop.org stack uses an unreasonable
> amount of memory, please file a bug and we will fix it.

It uses ANY memory. That's more than is reasonable considering that the
former solution (ifconfig) uses none.

Colin, let me very clear, I think what NM does for the desktop is very
good, indeed.  I like not having to fiddle around to make WEP stuff work
using iwconfig anymore. I appreciate what's been achieved.

That doesn't make it a more useful thing on a server.

  -sv