starting Fedora Server SIG

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 16:07:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 02:36 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> I've got no problem saying that people who use servers should have a
> custom ks that strips out all the stuff they don't need. In fact, I
> believe I've ALWAYS said that. I just don't want us to take steps that
> make setting up that custom ks outrageously difficult. If we end up
> tying the dependencies on these daemons very very low into the distro then
> we end up making a lot of fairly boring server admins' lives difficult for no
> good reason. All I'm saying is that the features that make NM useful
> should not preclude someone from yum removing it w/o losing their whole
> os.

But trying to preserve that modularity combinatorially adds to the
testing matrix and also makes it significantly more difficult to write
code since you can no longer depend on functionality.  It also makes
things slower as you have to conditionally check for things constantly.

> Oh and my general opinion is that the features we should be working on
> more than anything else are simplicity, security and stability.

Hey, guess what -- that's what a lot of these new fangled things are
actually working on.

Jeremy