starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 17:30:32 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Martin Langhoff (martin.langhoff at gmail.com) said:
>> It's already a bit of a black art to know what things to tweak to turn
>> Fedora into a server-style configuration without breaking things. And
>> it's growing -- in this thread I've learned about how to get the
>> text-mode plymouth plugin. I'm sure there's lots more.
>
> Don't worry, we made that knowledge obsolete.

That's the real problem...  Managing unix-like systems has always been
something of a specialized art, but typically worth learning because you
can re-use the knowledge for years/decades even though different vendors
have always tried to make it difficult to use their training with
anything else.  But that doesn't seem to apply any more.  How do you
expect places that manage servers to keep their 24x7 operations staff
(in several locations...) aware of all the administrative differences
from day to day and among versions likely to be running concurrently?
If you can completely automate something, fine, but I do not believe
there is any chance of doing that correctly for anything but trivial
(and client...) configurations.  So how do we get the dynamic gunk out
of the way on the more complex machines providing the services?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com