starting Fedora Server SIG

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Nov 14 20:08:42 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> said:
> One of the things about progress and getting to a more mature *platform*
> that is suitable across a wide range of uses is change.  I'm not saying
> that NetworkManager is perfect yet for the server needs.  But having
> people that want to run a server say "pound sand, go the hell away, we
> don't want to run your new-fangled stuff" doesn't help us get to where
> it is.

Having developers say "pound sand, go the hell away, we don't want you
to be able to do things the way you've been doing them for 10+ years"
doesn't help either.

A stack of daemons cannot be as reliable as ifconfig/route.  Having a
stack of daemons running for something that will not change is useless.

I do care about the desktop, and I use NM on my notebook (not on my
workstations that have a single interface with a single static IP).  I
have to shut it down on my notebook sometimes because it doesn't handle
some of my normal usage (multiple wired NICs, wired and wireless to
different networks, etc.).

I just don't see it as being useful or desired on my servers.  Any
daemon that isn't useful should be disabled (that is sysadmin 101).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>