Broken dependencies in Fedora 9 - 2008-11-14

David Huff dhuff at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 21:44:16 UTC 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> To address this I added "ExclusiveArch: %{ix86} x86_64 ppc alpha
>>> sparc armv4l noarch", to the spec [1] which matches the qemu
>>> package.  I was told that this would prevent the compose tools form
>>> adding the appliance-tools rpm to the ppc64 tree.
>>
>> Why not "ExcludeArch: ppc64"?
>
> Just to offer an outside perspective... IMO ExcludeArch makes sense when
> a package is generically expected to work, but is known to have problems
> on specific architectures (i.e. not working is the exception, not the
> rule). For things like qemu (or valgrind, to give another example) that
> are highly arch-specific, it makes more sense to list the arches that
> are supported, even if that results in a longer list.

either way, it was my understanding that both ExclusinveArch and
ExcludeArch would work, ie the compose tools will check the srpm and not
include the package in a tree if specified in either of these feilds.

Im not sure if switching form ExclusinveArch to ExcludeArch will fix the
issue at had.

Any comments, as I would like to run a new build to try and resolve this
issue.

-D