starting Fedora Server SIG

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 14 23:16:12 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Matthew Woehlke
> <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> So... have an 'exit after initial configuration' option for NM?
>> /me runs and hides now
>
> And support for bridges, bonding devices and lots of odd config rules
> that you can do with the ifcfg scripts.
>
> I want to like NM, and it's great that Dan's posted good links to
> current API docs, but it's not a good match for a moderately complex
> server role. In tight memory conditions -- OLPC's School Server, but
> also UMPCs -- a large daemon running as root is hard to justify.

So... have an 'exit after initial configuration' option for NM?

I didn't say it's perfect (note: I'm also one of those still using if*
scripts). I'm just contesting that "it's a daemon" is an insurmountable
problem.

If the other stuff you mentioned were fixed, and NM could be run in
'setup-and-exit' mode (as opposed to daemon mode), would that make it an
adequate replacement in server environments?

--
Matthew
Person A: It's an ISO standard.