[LONG] The fonts SIG irregular status report

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 18 10:46:49 UTC 2008

Le Mar 18 novembre 2008 11:33, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 11:11 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Le Mar 18 novembre 2008 09:32, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

>> Please review
>> http://nim.fedorapeople.org/rpm-fonts/rpm-fonts-1.8-1.fc11.src.rpm
>> and the other files in this directory, and propose ameliorations
>> before we make it the backbone of our Fedora 11 font packages.
> I will vote against this proposal and this package.
>
> Rationale:
> All these macros do is causing further pollution of the rpm macros,
> break many details (try rpmbuild --define '_datadir /opt/foo' and add
> further cross distro-portability issues (Consider RHEL3 or rpm's from
> other distros).
>
> May be you recall the issues with Mandrake / Mandriva macros and with
> SuSE-macros, now you seem to be wanting to conduct Fedora into the
> same direction.

What I've seen last year is:
1. packagers reinvent those independently (usually with bugs), so
there's no drawbacks and lots of benefits in providing them a clean
audited centralised version instead.
2. when you push too much logic in individual packages, this logic is
not updated (when fc-cache arguments change)
3. the current guidelines are not easy enough for most packagers.

If you don't agree with my solution to those problems please be
constructive and propose another better one.

--
Nicolas Mailhot