starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:44:24 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 13:24 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Agreed, but when the kernel hardware detection order was predictable,
>> this was simple.  Now it isn't.
>
> When was it predictable?  Even in the 2.4 era, we'd get one chassis
> barebones from a vender like supermicro and the nic order would be one
> way, then next month we'd order the same chassis barebones and the nics
> would be picked up in a different order.  Even more fun is when they'd
> change with a kernel update, so that the kernel we installed with had
> one order, and the kernel we updated to and rebooted to had it in a
> different order.

I'm pretty sure I cloned Centos 3.x across at least 50 IBM 336's with
the NICs always being chosen in the same order.  The thing that really
took me by surprise, though, was some mid-rev update (and I can't
remember now if this was still 3.x or a later version) where the
previously ignored HWADDR entries in the ifcfg-eth? files started being
observed just to the point of not bringing up an interface that didn't
match.  This was fun when the local test box didn't exhibit the problem
but all of the remote headless boxes that previously worked fell off the
network when rebooted.  I just happened to be in the right place by a
console that happened to be connected to catch it one of the first times
it happened.   I suppose that change was really a bugfix and it was
supposed to work that way from the beginning but it wasn't what I
expected in an update from an 'enterprise' version.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com