My roadmap for a better Fedora

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:39:47 UTC 2008

2008/11/19 Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:23:42AM +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> > 2008/11/19, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>:
> > > Because it's not a one-way communication (at least, not if you want it
> > >  to be effective.)
> >
> > I think you misundestood something. If order to effectively hunt
> > issues, we definitely need HUGE number of bugreports (remember
> > Necrosoft's "Send crash dump" utility). That definitely means one-way
> > communication. I'm insisting - one-way communication (e.g. user will
> > send bugreport to invisible-to-him blackhole, w/o answer, with some
> > handy tool).
>
> Utterly useless. I already have a HUGE number of bug reports. The problem
> is that 90% of them are essentially useless when first reported. It
> requires
> several back/forth interactions between myself & the bug reporter to get
> enough information to diagnose & resolve the problem. If we create a system
> where we bombard maintainers with bugreports & no scope for user
> interaction
> they'll end up directly in /dev/null, and further discourage maintainers
> from addressing even bugs with enough info.

One of the ideas with something like apport is that you can get it to send
you the log files you need and other related information. I would think
something like this would at least reduce the amount of time you spend
asking for log files and other information or at least compensate for the
increased bug report count. I don't know how apport+launchpad does this but
when a bug is filed through apport, it gives you the top reported bugs and
the ones most similar to the one you are reporting to avoid duplicates. User
interaction is done though the launchpad account, we could simply offer to
help the user open a bugzilla account in the same fashion.

All of this sounds like what we want, not having such programs certain
doesn't stop applications from crashing, it just lets us know how bad we
really are.

- David