My roadmap for a better Fedora

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 10:11:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 22:17 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Utterly useless. I already have a HUGE number of bug reports. The problem
> is that 90% of them are essentially useless when first reported. It requires
> several back/forth interactions between myself & the bug reporter to get
> enough information to diagnose & resolve the problem.

I've found that too, with Bugzilla.  For system-config-printer which is
also distributed by Ubuntu, I've found that the Launchpad bug reports
usually contain most of the information I need to fix the problem: the
package version number, and (usually) the Python traceback for example.
This gets added to the bug report automatically using apport, without
the user knowing how to do any of it.

Of course there are plenty of Launchpad bug reports for
system-config-printer that can't be solved that way. (I just ignore
those.)

I do think that having one-way crash reporting is useful to a certain
degree, but implementing it in Bugzilla doesn't seem to be the right
approach.  A Bugzilla bug entry is quite a heavy-weight thing compared
to just a entry in a database of crashes like kerneloops.

The point is that software (never mind the user) is capable of reporting
problems in enough details for fixes to be made in a lot of cases.

In fact, I wrote the printing troubleshooter to do just that for the
limited case of printing problems, and it helps *enormously* when
someone attaches the troubleshoot.txt file from a printing problem.

Tim.
*/