requires(post) on coreutils

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 17:25:59 UTC 2008

> I just attempted to compose the Games spin for Fedora 10, and ran into a
> number of packages that fail their %post scripts due to missing one
> thing or another out of coreutils (such as ln, rm, file, etc..) and it
> has me wondering what might have changed in recent time so that
> coreutils wouldn't be installed earlier in the transaction.  This seems
> like something that would have been noticed before, but maybe it's just
> in the particular package set that the games spin has.

It's actually a pretty common phenomenon related to packagers thinking
they're "always" there because they are except in the case of new
installs.  coreutils is actually surprisingly late in install order and
so there are pretty frequent packages which pop up expecting otherwise
(and there always have been; I've been filing bugs about them for longer
than I like to remember :-)

Jeremy