RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:44:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:46:42 +0100, Michal Hlavinka wrote:

> Usually, if I need something, I use yum search keyword and choose what I
> will install thx summary, so I prefer useful and descriptive summary
> against a few words

"yum search" also searches the package %description. And the description
is the place where to be much more verbose than in the summary. The
%summary is not made for searching, but for enabling the installer and
packaging tools to to display a brief and concise package description or a
list thereof. That means, put a few relevant keywords in the summary
(newspaper headline-style at most), but avoid long/complete sentences as
often as possible. That also makes it easier to fit into one line.

> btw... oggconvert :
> A simple GNOME application that converts media files to Free formats

"GNOME media file converter" would be enough to raise user's interest
in clicking to look up the longer description.

> lets see PackageKit :
> System daemon that is a DBUS abstraction layer for package management
>
> its even longer... :)

Because it tries to squeeze too many low-level details into the
summary instead of expanding in the description.