What do we need from Bugzilla?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 21:39:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 13:05 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Jesse Keating wrote:
> >>
> >> It's not that it's doing things right, it's just too cost prohibitive to
> >> create something else to do the same things in the same predictably
> >> wrong way (:
> >
> > That's actually pretty funny when compared to the reaction I get here to
> > comments regarding API and functional changes in fedora itself.
> >
> > But, lots of people like trac these days.
> >
> trac has some good features and some bad ones too:
>
> It's UI is poor because it hides things like "new ticket" unless you're
> logged in.
>
> It has no protection against mid-air collisions.
>
> If you hit the back button or a link by mistake, you can't go back to
> the previous page and have your painstakingly entered comment still be
> there.

It's search is great for new users, but horrible when you are trying to
track down something specific that may not be listed in the bug's
content.

For many people, wiki formatting of the text is rarely what they want,
and for others, it's just what they want.  I can't tell you how many
times I've forgotten to {{{ ... }}} to ensure the text I paste in isn't
re-formatted.  But sometimes I do want wiki format.  Maybe if Trac had a
user preference for your default format connected to your login ID.

Dan