RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 23:46:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:58:46 -0500 (EST), Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:23:59 -0500 (EST), Seth Vidal wrote:
> >
> >> what other features would you want to advance yum's searching?
> >
> > To print context also for matches where the search strings are found in
> > the description -- and print the 1-2 first lines of the description for
> > all listed packages. That would make it more obvious which results are
> > relevant. Here it highlights the matched string in the summaries, but
> > descriptions that match are not printed.
>

> yum search -v mail client

The quotes are important here (or else you get output for almost 400
pkgs). I tried: yum search -v "mail client"

It prints _full_ (!) descriptions, lots of empty lines (probably trying to
improve readability), superfluous "Matched from:" lines (which make it
less readable), a "Description" column that makes it less readable,
debug output at the top.

| thunderbird-lightning.i386 : The calendar extension to Thunderbird
| Matched from:
| Description : Lightning brings the Sunbird calendar to the popular email
|             : client, Mozilla Thunderbird. Since it's an extension,
|             : Lightning is tightly integrated with Thunderbird, allowing it to
|             : easily perform email-related calendaring tasks.

Better IMO would be something similar to:

thunderbird-lightning.i386 : The calendar extension to Thunderbird

          Lightning brings the Sunbird calendar to the popular email
          client, Mozilla Thunderbird. Since it's an extension, [...]

tmda-ofmipd.noarch : Tagged Message Delivery Agent - ofmipd server

          TMDA is an open source anti-spam system and local mail delivery
          agent.  tmda-ofmipd is an async I/O based authenticated ofmip
          proxy for TMDA. This allows users of any mail client [...]