What do we need from Bugzilla? (was: My roadmap for a better Fedora)

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 10:44:17 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-21, 09:50 GMT, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>> I'd like a "push upstream" button, as in create
>> a corresponding bug in
>> the master upstream bug database.  Bonus points if it then keeps them
>> somewhat in sync :-)

I have written about this a little bit before
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/79936

> - Users have to be pushed upstream as well. The reporter of the
>   bug in bugzilla.redhat.com must stay the reporter in the
>   upstreamed bug report.

No, they shouldn't and they shouldn't need to. We cannot force
our reporters to crete accounts in the upstream bugzillas. We
should deliver comments from the upstream bugzilla to our one
(via XML-RPC I guess).

> - You need to check for dupes and not blindly open a bug in the upstream
>   bug tracker.

This is difficult -- yes, probably we could open the query from
the upstream bugzilla in other tab. However, I have to admit that
after brief query in the upstream database (e.g., in mozilla with
the query tool in the new bug page) I just dump the bug there and
let upstream triagers show that they know much better what's in
their bugzilla.

> - Even if most upstreams use bugzilla, their notions of products and
>   components is different from Red Hat/Fedora's. You'll need to work out
>   a mapping from one to the other.

Of course.

Matěj