What do we need from Bugzilla? (was: My roadmap for a better Fedora)

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Fri Nov 21 11:15:16 UTC 2008

* Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski [21/11/2008 11:27] :

> I'm beginning to see why Canonical thinks their Launchpad has to have only
> one global instance.

[ Disclaimer : I'm a contributor to upstream Bugzilla ]

Moving bugs is hard and getting harder, IMHO.

It wasn't easy to do back in the early days and, since then, Bugzilla
has gained the abilty to customize statuses and resolutions, making it
even harder to push bugs from one bugzilla to another with prompting for
user interaction.

At this point, we're basically reduced to pushing a summary and
description (which may depend on information from other fields to be
pertinent and asking the user to fill in the rest). Which doesn't strike
me as a huge improvement over asking the reporter to open an account in
the upstream Bugzilla and copy/paste the summary and description himself
in the bug entry form.

That said, the "one bug tracker to rule them all" approach has a huge
number of problems as well.

Emmanuel