What do we need from Bugzilla? (was: My roadmap for a better Fedora)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:05:24 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Matej Cepl [21/11/2008 12:15] :
>> No, they shouldn't and they shouldn't need to. We cannot force
>> our reporters to crete accounts in the upstream bugzillas. We
>> should deliver comments from the upstream bugzilla to our one
>> (via XML-RPC I guess).
>
> This has the inconvenience that :
>
> a) Two (or more) conversations are taking place in the bug report.
> b) Comments like "the fix proposed in comment #7 looks good" lose
>    all meaning, unless you know what comments come from which bug
>    tracker.
>
> I suppose we can live with it, though.
>
>> the upstream bugzilla in other tab. However, I have to admit that
>> after brief query in the upstream database (e.g., in mozilla with
>> the query tool in the new bug page) I just dump the bug there and
>> let upstream triagers show that they know much better what's in
>> their bugzilla.
>
> Thanks for making their work more difficult, I guess.

If someone does this right, maybe it would be possible to cascade all
the way up from user/site/enterprise instances and a working version
included in the distribution would have templates for all the packages
and a checkbox for whether or not to push a specific entry upstream or
not.  That way everyone could track their own problems, their local or
company helpdesk could be added as the next escalation, and on to the
distribution if it wasn't a local problem without having to deal with
different interfaces or creating new logins.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com