What do we need from Bugzilla? (was: My roadmap for a better Fedora)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 20:53:59 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Les Mikesell [21/11/2008 20:49] :
>>> Deciding to push a bug upstream or not cannot be reduced to checking a
>>> box or pushing a button.
>> Wrong answer, if anyone actually wants those bug reports.
>
> Sheer volume of bug reports will not improve development, especially
> if the increase is only in the form of duplicate bugs.

I'd assume a model where some small percentage are valuable so
increasing the volume will bring in more meaningful ones.  The hard part
is filtering them without losing the good ones.

> In fact, this
> will slow down development because more time will have to be spent on
> bug triage, taking time away from bug fixing.

That's something that less specialized volunteers could do.  They would
only need to understand the bugzilla structure and how to determine if a
new entry was a duplicate or not.  Maybe that could even be automated.
If you can't describe the process well enough to automate it, you can't
expect a new user with a problem to be able to understand what you want
them to do.  Even the worst case of replying with a mailman
auto-response that has a FAQ for the bugzilla and list of currently
known problems would be better than no contact at all and would leave
you with a database of user experiences that you could mine if you
decide it is worthwhile.  And the better case gets the email of an
affected user that will provide the details you need to solve a problem
into the tracking ticket.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com