My roadmap for a better Fedora

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Nov 22 18:02:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 11:46 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >>  .. because this work is not attractive. It's boring work without
> >>  proper credit in open source community.
> > Right. Furthermore, testing implies finding bugs, discussing, struggling
> > and arguing with package maintainers and upstreams. Not necessarily a
> > way to make friends :)
> >
> > However, I think the primary cause in is Fedora's work-flow and Fedora's
> > infrastructure. I find them not to be really helpful to such endeavors.
>
> I do think Windows has improved a lot since they added the crash
> reporter.  OS X has one

These are closed source OSes - They don't have any alternative but such
"user participation programs" - OSS has alternatives.

> - and I though Ubuntu included one too although
> I haven't seen anything trip it.
Gnome had one for many years (bug-buddy), ... I don't recall having seen
it providing any substantial improvement to Gnome.

Now the kernel also has one (kerneloops) ... We'll see if it will
provide improvements.

My expectations on such tools are very low. Many users switch them off
and developers/maintainers tend to ignore them as noise.

Ralf