source file audit - 2008-11-14

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Nov 23 22:54:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:47:53 +0000
caolanm at redhat.com (Caolán McNamara) wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 17:09 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > caolanm:BADSOURCE:writer2latex0502.zip:writer2latex
> > caolanm:BADSOURCE:icu4c-4_0-src.tgz:icu
> > caolanm:BADSOURCE:myspell-af_ZA-20060117.zip:hunspell-af
> > caolanm:BADSOURCE:myspell-nr_ZA-20060120.zip:hunspell-nr
>
> With these ones upstream repacked the sources (bah), so it's great
> to get the notification that they changed.

Good. ;)

> > caolanm:BADSOURCE:OOo-Thesaurus2-sk_SK.zip:mythes-sk
> > caolanm:BADSOURCE:thes_de_DE_v2.zip:mythes-de
> > caolanm:BADURL:sjp-myspell-pl-20080823.zip:hunspell-pl
>
> With these ones though, the problem is that (with many dictionary and
> thesaurus projects) upstream either rolls along continuously making
> (sometimes daily) refreshes with new words and meanings, either
> reusing the same tarball name (BADSOURCE), or a date based one where
> after a certain time the old one is removed (BADURL).
>
> So is it better practice for me in these cases to keep a full Source:
> link correct as to the time of packaging, or better to chop off the
> path and just leave the basename so they get skipped from the audit
> test ? FWIW in my own "see if there have been newer releases" script
> I have them tagged as date-base releases with a one month window
> before they are marked as having a newer release available.

Well, not sure. I can also blacklist them from being checked if you
like. I guess it depends on if you want me to nag you next time so you
can go and check and see whats going on, or want me to leave you alone
since you have your own script. ;)

I don't suppose upstream might change practices here?

> C.

kevin