source file audit - 2008-11-14

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Nov 23 23:29:14 UTC 2008

On Mon November 24 2008, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:54:43 +0100
>
> opensource at till.name (Till Maas) wrote:

> However, they have not been marked 'dead.package'.
> So, either the maintainer who orphaned them didn't do that, or the
> expectation was that someone would pick them up soon.

A dead.package file only needs to be created for retired packages[1]. The
orphaning procedures do no tell to create it:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/OrphanedPackages#Orphaning_Procedure

> > > till:BADURL:aircrack-ng-1.0-20081109.tar.gz:aircrack-ng
> >
> > This is a svn snapshot, therefore there is no URL available. Is there
> > some way to indicate this to your script? Another SourceX of this
> > package is aircrack-ng-tarball which is a script that can be used to
> > generate the snapshot. I spotted some more packages in the list that
> > contain a date in their tarball and therefore are probably snapshot
> > releases.
>
> if it's a snapshot, why does it have a URL?
> It currently is:
> Source0:
> http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-%{version}-%{alphatag}.tar.gz
>
> But it should just be:
> Source0: aircrack-ng-%{version}-%{alphatag}.tar.gz

Good catch. It was left over, because it used a snapshot from upstream before.

> And have a commented section above describing how it was generated.

I will add this, too. I believed that adding a appropriate script to generate
the snapshot is enough, but there is no good default way to do so, therefore
I will add a comment.

Regards,
Till

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/PackageEndOfLife