F11: things to check in a release tree before a release

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Nov 24 00:38:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:42:52PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:51:43 -0500 (EST), Seth Vidal wrote:
>
> > > If you really want to check all sorts of multiple Provides, that'll be
> > > a long list with a lot that must be white-listed.
> >
> > I was thinking along the lines of we generate the list, manually check.
> >
> > Then we work on generating diffs vs past lists for the future.
> >
> > so we aren't constantly seeing the same stream of data.
>
> Which is roughly what I've done: using "diff against previous" and a
> whitelist of package names for "valid virtual provides".
>
> That worked fine till bug-triagers threatened to close bugzilla tickets
> because of dist EOL and then mass-closed them later. Too much extra burden
> -- having to revisit tickets and verify the issues and likely doing it
> again next EOL is reached.
>
> What was missing is a script to maintain the bugzilla ticket numbers,
> to detect fixed packages (which no longer appear on the list), to help with
> closing tickets, and to add reminders to the tickets automatically.

FTBFS does this. :-)  The trick is, to have a tracking bug, against
which you have filed all the actual bugs.  Then you can ask bugzilla
for the tracking bug and those it is "blocked_on".  If you have bugs
show up on that list that your tool does not believe are bugs anymore,
those are your candidates for closure.

My FTBFS scripts are (mostly) posted at
http://linux.dell.com/files/fedora/FixBuildRequires/
though I note that tarball is a bit stale.  If people are interested
in borrowing from these, I'll get an updated version posted.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux