error compiling postgresql with fedora mingw

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 21:50:23 UTC 2008

> Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 14:19 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> That makes sense.  Could you have simplified matters by just prepending
> >> /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin to your PATH?
>
> > That seems to work OK but you still need the
> > DLLTOOL=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/dlltool

Sorry I pasted the wrong one. I meant to say:
DLLWRAP=i686-pc-mingw32-dllwrap

There is no 'dllwrap' executable in the MinGW bin directory.

> Hmm ... I see a "dlltool" that should probably be "$(DLLTOOL)" in
> src/pl/plpython/Makefile ... are there other omissions?

I suspect I didn't build any of the language bindings so I didn't see
that.

> > I forgot to mention that some of the Makefiles have hard coded
> > references to windres which need replacing
> > with /usr/bin/i686-pc-mingw32-windres
>
> Again, seems like tweaking the PATH should have taken care of that.

There is no 'windres' executable, perhaps there should be.

> I think that upstream would be willing to take any patches needed to
> make this work with just the PATH tweak.  I'm not in a position to
> test it myself though, so if you'd put together a tested patch I'd
> be much obliged.
>

> >> UNICODE_STRING?  I don't see anything like that in the Postgres sources.
>
> > The problem looked like it was in the MinGW header files. Some PG code
> > was pulling in sspi.h which includes the line:
>
> > typedef UNICODE_STRING SECURITY_STRING, *PSECURITY_STRING;
>
> > I tweked a few things to #include <ntdef.h> which fixed it but I'm not
> > sure this is the right fix.
>
> Hmm, that sounds familiar all of a sudden.  [ digs in archives... ]
> Is this proposed patch addressing the same thing?
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-11/msg00367.php
>
> It hasn't gotten applied, probably because no one else confirmed it
> was needed, but if you can confirm it ...

The patches probably would address the issue. OTOH, if they are not
required on Windows then it suggests to me that the problem is with
mingw32-w32api and not PostgreSQL.

	Jon