Feature proposal: New, Standard Documentation System

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Nov 27 10:06:19 UTC 2008

On 27.11.2008 10:32, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:28:55PM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Far too often I find myself looking for non-existent man pages, Google
>> results, or help menus in GNU/Linux software. What's the problem? There
>> is no single, reliable, standardized documentation system that is
>> universally accepted or appreciated. Yes, what I'm about to describe
>> should obsolete man, info, and all the other dozen "help" documentation
>> found in all the Fedora packages.
>
> Debian forces all programs to come with a man page.  If one is
> missing, this is considered a bug and packagers have to write one.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html
>
> This would be an excellent idea for Fedora to follow (and we can,
> license permitting, use the Debian man pages).

My 2 cent: It would be way better for everyone to get those man pages
upstream.

One reason for that: If you add man pages from debian to a fedora
package then you have to recheck every now and then if the man pages are
still up2date. That afaics often tends to be forgotten (I'm guilty
myself here).

CU
knurd